I've always been a picky eater, but I feel like I've never has as many issues with it until lately. I guess you could call me a semi-vegetarian. I eat a lot of chicken and I love steak, but besides an occasional ham, turkey and salami sandwich, I'm not one for meat. I particularly hate seafood of all kinds. Pretty much if it lives in water, I can't eat it. I've tried and I literally, physically can't do it. Adam tells me that it's mostly mental, and I think so too, but I'm not sure what to do about my mentality.
Snacks I eat are:
Here's my dilemma: I want to eat healthy, but I'm so particular about my food that it's difficult. Also having a random schedule doesn't help with the restaurant. I have to eat before work usually around 3 in the afternoon and then again when I get home around midnight. Food has literally become the most thought-pressing thing of my life. Isn't it annoying that we have to think about it at least 3 times a day? Man, I wish I could just inject myself with nutrients! Forget about taste, I don't need to taste anything. Except red wine, I really like to taste that. Aaaand chocolate occasionally!
I'm decently health food aware. I can attribute a lot of that to my mom. She is always learning new things and then passing on the knowledge to me. I feel like I know what I should be doing, but it's not realistically going to happen because of my taste and schedule. If you know me at all, you know that I love to crock pot, slow cook, fix-it and forget-it, or whatever your family calls it! I often make some kind of chicken dish or pot roast. Also, I love to barbecue. If I'm making chicken or steak, I'll be out on my patio BBQing it. I don't really like baked chicken, so BBQ it is.
I need to find main dishes with the following qualifications:
• Meatless, but still has protein in it
• Doesn't take more than 1/2 hour to make
• I can freeze and then later reheat for a quick meal
• Health food (low in creams, fat, added sugars, sodium. high in fiber, veggies, you get the idea)
So, you may be asking, what do you like Jamie? Good question, I find my self asking that all the time! Here is a non-comprehensive list of things I do like that can be the base of a meal:
-fire roasted veggies - bell peppers- whole grains (pasta, bread, quinoa, rice, etc.) - grilled chicken - all fruits (except for cantaloup, honeydew, avocado…I'm allergic to them) - tri-tip, sirloins, filet mignon, most types of steak really - cheese and carbs (quesadillas, cheese and crackers) - potatoes - eggs
-fire roasted veggies - bell peppers- whole grains (pasta, bread, quinoa, rice, etc.) - grilled chicken - all fruits (except for cantaloup, honeydew, avocado…I'm allergic to them) - tri-tip, sirloins, filet mignon, most types of steak really - cheese and carbs (quesadillas, cheese and crackers) - potatoes - eggs
Snacks I eat are:
- crackers - fat free plain yogurt - low fat cottage cheese(with sunflower seeds and lemon pepper!) - whole grain cereal - raw almonds - unsweetened apple sauce - celery with peanut butter - fruit smoothies - bagels with cream cheese - chips and salsa - hummus and pita
Some favorite food genres are Italian (lasagna, red or white pastas, pesto dishes), Mediterranean (i love hummus, falafel, greek salad, veggie pita wraps), Pizza, Burritos, Thai food (chicken or vegetarian), BBQ (let's be honest, who doesn't!). I'm sure there's more, but all I can think of for now.
You're probably tired of reading this, so I'll wrap it up. In short, I'm an extremely picky eater with an unusual schedule that is trying to avoid fast foods, eating junk, and getting frustrated about meals. I would love to be able to make meals and then freeze them, rather than buying already made meals. I need main dishes that are vegetarian but healthy and without any type of sea food!
Any advice or recipes???


I'm obsessed with this chicken souvlaki salad recipe. Serve with fresh pitas or pita chips.
ReplyDeletehttp://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000000347741
These Greek-style stuffed peppers are delicious (add a couple cloves of garlic!). You could prep and bake them on a weekend, then freeze the cooked peppers individually or in pairs, and then heat when needed.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/greek-style-stuffed-peppers-recipe/index.html
I haven't tried this lasagna recipe, but it sounds delicious and you can freeze it:
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000001120311
You can also make soup and then freeze in smaller portions.
I love this Tuscan vegetable soup, especially alongside cheese and crackers or bruschetta:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/tuscan-vegetable-soup-recipe/index.html
This chili-spiced chicken soup is extremely flavorful too:
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000001964001
Vegetarian Barley Risotto [no meat or seafood!] :)
ReplyDeleteBarley Risotto:
6 cups vegetable broth
1/8 cup canola oil
1 small onion, minced
1 1/2 cups pearl barley, about 1 pound (or use Arborio rice for a gluten-free dish)
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup ricotta cheese
1/4 cup (about 2 ounces) crumbled goat cheese
Basil pesto:
2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
1/2 cup pine nuts, roasted
3 garlic cloves, finely minced
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
1 cup sun-dried tomatoes (from a jar, or if dehydrated soaked in warm water)
6 sprigs fresh basil